Wednesday 19 June 2013

Relationships....


Morning everyone
 
I know, I know, I've been very remiss lately in writing my blog here. Two reasons really - now doing a lot more writing for my website so time even more limited and also Google have started linking everything together! Took me ages to actually get signed into this account.  Obviously needing more technical training..............
 
I'm sitting in the sun in a lovely garden at my friends house in Southampton. I am supposed to be sorting out boxes, updating admin, checking emails etc. In other words it's gone 09:00 on a Wednesday morning and I am supposed to be working.

But that's the great thing about my new life. If I decide to do all the above at 10 in the evening - I can! As I was sitting here, listening to the waterfall beside me (just a little one into the fish pond - not Niagara falls......:-) I remembered how long it had been since I posted on my JB Blog. So I decided it was much more important to say hello to you all than to worry about some admin I can do anytime.

I'm going to keep this one short as there's been so much going on the last couple of months I'm not going to risk boring you all to tears! I have however got some pictures so I'll get another post on quickly (promise) and we can stroll through them together.

I decided enjoying the simple things in life are the most fulfilling and give me the best sense of contentment. Last week was a very busy one, working in Swanage. I don't know if any of you have ever been there but it is a lovely part of Dorset, has a gorgeous beach and surrounding coastline, with lovely friendly people.

On Friday afternoon, the sun was shining and I managed to take a couple of hours off and head up the coast a little to a place called Studland beach. I was driving my new car (9 yrs old but new to me........more about that another time), sun roof open and just enjoying some 'me' time.

I grew up in Norfolk and have so many happy memories of days at the seaside, paddling then swimming in the sea, building sandcastles with my Dad and brother, sitting on my Mums lap munching gritty sandwiches (I've decided Lord Sandwich had nothing to do with their name....just the beach!) So as I was spending more than a week in Swanage I was determined to make time to walk barefoot on the beach, paddle in the sea (yes it was freezing, but once your feet go numb you're fine!) and have an ice cream. I had the most wonderful time just walking along, lost in my thoughts but aware at the same time of others enjoying the day, taking kayaks out on the sea, even a group of teenagers on a school trip for their GCSE project. I answered a questionnaire for one of them and smiled as he left the most embarrassing question to last, sheepishly asking 'er, can you tell me which age group you come in?'. Bless him, I was pleased to say I wasn't quite in the last group - by just a few years!

But the older I'm getting the more I realise ageing has a lot to do with attitude. Yes, I am a bit slower than I was in my twenties. Yes, I have a few more aches and pains. The knees are a bit stiff in the mornings but hey, they still work and get me from A to B.

But I've discovered there are some great advantages to slowing down a little. You realise how much you miss when you're living life 'in the fast lane'. Whether I was being a single mum, wife, chef, musician, bank manager or any one of the many other incarnations of my life over the past 55 years very often, like so many people I 'missed' those opportunities to enjoy simple pleasures.....particularly sharing those moments with those you love and are precious to you.

I've often said I try not to do regrets, as there's nothing you can do to change the past. I always tried to make time for my daughter but like most young mums there were many occasions when other things took attention. My lovely daughter is now a wife and mother herself, in her mid 30's with her own busy life. But one thing I will always be grateful for is the time we did spend together in her formative years means she knows beyond doubt how much I love her. I love spending time with her and the family and that I am always there for her, day or night, whatever the reason. For that I thank God, she is my greatest blessing and I treasure every phone call, every lunch we manage to arrange, every time I get a call saying 'Hi mum, fancy coming round Saturday and stay for dinner?'

I don't know your personal circumstances, how old you are or what you do for a living. But one thing I do know - life is about relationships. We all have an inbuilt desire to be in 'relationship' with one another. Sometimes those relationships are difficult, get messy, we get hurt, we can so easily hurt others. Sometimes they are deeply committed, full of love, mutually fulfilling and caring.

But one thing I do know ......... relating to others is never a waste of time. Spending time with those we love, even a few minutes for a hug and 'have a great day' says more than we can ever imagine. Some relationships may only be fleeting - smiling at a stranger in the street takes a second, but it may just make that person feel 10 feet tall. We can all smile at one another without even breaking our stride to wherever we are hurrying to............

I was with lots of people last week and yes at times, I just needed a little time to myself. I've been here on my own now for 3 days and feel refreshed and rested. I'm still sitting in this lovely garden, listening to birds, the water, distant traffic, but in my spirit there is a stirring ........ for a little human contact. I'm not feeling lonely - far too many lovely friends and family I can call. But I fancy a walk........... so am getting my smile ready. Wonder who God will send across my path today I'll be able to share it with.......? I'll let you know next time, but in the meantime here's one for you all :-)

Blessings to you and your loved ones as always .

Jules xx

No comments: