Tuesday 31 July 2012

Messing about on the river........

Evening everyone – unusually I’m writing this blog post in the evening.  I'm determined to get 2 posts on for July so not under the duvet (I'll fall asleep) but propped up on the sofa.

I spent yesterday and this morning in my office at home so decided earlier today to take my laptop and head off into the countryside near me to write whilst soaking up some sun (yes, I know we’ve had grey skies and rain again but the sun did make some brief appearances today and it’s been quite warm which as I’m sure you’ll agree constitutes a ‘good British summer’).

I enjoy exploring the B roads locally and finding little villages I’ve only seen on the map and discovering beautiful countryside. My other great love is water - any water. Rivers, the sea, waterfalls, lakes – I just love the sound and soothing effect water has on me. So I was delighted to spot, as I drove between villages I’d not visited before, some fishermen (or more precisely those large fishing umbrella’s under which they sit patiently waiting for the fish to bite). So I pulled into the car park and wandered along the bank of a lovely lake chatting to a couple of the devotees of the rod ‘n’ reel.

As I said my intention was to sit with my laptop and write. I got chatting to Tim, who was in his usual Tuesday afternoon fishing spot and was invited to sit and keep him company. I collected my folding chair from the boot, along with my laptop and a snack and settled down on the bank. Then I discovered my laptop wasn’t charged and I hadn’t remembered to put the lead in the case so couldn’t even go to a local coffee shop, plug in and write there! So – lesson learnt. If I intend writing in the open air, make sure I’ve charged my laptop!

Tim and I got into conversation and it transpired he’s a very experienced IT consultant, with a generous spirit as he offered any help I might need in building my website (more on that in a later post). I have a feeling I might be making a few more trips to the fishing lake...............and so the story continues....


I spent a very pleasant afternoon with Tim and his friend Bernie and both were rewarded with a couple of good size common carp. I got a great photo of Bernie – holding his 11lb 1oz catch. The fish in the landing net is Tim’s – my camera gave up at this point so it’s the best shot I got.

It's 11lb 1oz - 'onest............




Fresh air, good conversation and getting close up and personal with nature. Sure beats sitting in front of a PC all day!

A slippery customer...........
caught by Tim










I’m conscious my last few posts haven’t had any pictures but I’ve managed to solve my download problem so here are some of my recent piccies.



A beautiful rose taken on my friends patio

One of my favourite spots - complete with lots of wildlife
In my previous post I mentioned the Bromham Show.  Despite the weather (yes, we had showers) everyone who came had a great time.  We had a particularly special treat with no less than 3 Olympic torch carriers in the main arena, one of which had done his run that morning and brought his golden torch to the show.  After doing a lap of honour in his specially adapted wheelchair, pushed by a fellow runner (his turn was the next day) he posed for photos with many of the children there.  Check out the piccies on www.bromhamshow.com

I was a very proud Nana as well  - my grandsons entered the Victoria Sponge category for the under 16's (they're 13) and both got third place.  We all got to sample their cooking and the cakes were every bit as good as they looked.

We also had a royal visit.  The budget not running to a helicopter for the queens entrance she and Prince Philip were however chauffeur driven all the way from Norfolk in the back of my Mum and Dad's car before being transferred to my car at 11:30 Saturday evening ready for their journey Sunday morning. As my brother and I apologised to their majesties for getting up close and familiar (the only way to lift them was by putting a hand under the royal posteriors!)  and transferred them from one vehicle to the other I was laughing so much at the sight we made.  We must have looked like Burke and Hare transferring a couple of stiffs in the dark!  A big thanks to my Mum and Dad for letting us have these great models they spent many hours making.


My husband and I.........are very comfy thanks
 Well, that's just a few of the things I've been up to recently and as it's gone 11.00 pm I think it's time to get this post on. There's lots more to share so I'll write again soon.

I haven't mentioned the Olympics I know - I have to confess I'm not really into sport but like many others I joined friends on Friday evening and marvelled at the uniquely British opening ceremony.  We oohed and aahed at the amazing spectacle on the screen, laughed at Mr Bean and applauded her majesty for being such a great sport.  It was so good to see so many 'ordinary' people taking part - proving what the bible tells us.  In God's eyes we're all extraordinary - all unique, all precious in His sight.

Have a great summer and God bless

Bye for now
Jules xx

No comments: